Changes to Bus Routes Servicing Coleman Highlands
Did you know that there are folks dedicated to keeping YOU up to date on public transit issue here in our city? Ron McLinden, Coleman Highlands resident and founder of Trans Action Network, is one of those people! He was kind enough to let us know about some major changes happening to the 47 and 51 bus routes at the end of this month. If you catch a ride on either of these, you might want to read what Ron has to say about the changes:
Change is coming to Metro Route 47 in Midtown effective September 30, 2012. This description of the changes is written from the perspective of the Coleman Highlands, Roanoke, and Volker neighborhoods.
These changes result from a Comprehensive Service Analysis begun two years ago by the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (The Metro). The analysis has resulted in changing many of the 60 or so routes in Kansas City, Missouri, and a realignment of routes and hours of service to better fit current rider needs. Consequently, many neighborhoods are getting much improved transit service.
Routes 47 and 51 are being jointly realigned. The service Midtown residents have become accustomed to as Route 47 Roanoke will become Route 51 Ward Parkway. Route 51 Broadway will become Route 47 Broadway.
Are you confused yet?
If you’ve been riding Route 47, the change might take some getting used to, depending on where you go. If you haven’t been riding The Metro, this might be a great time to start.
There’s a lot to like in the New Route 51.
– We keep direct service to Downtown, now via Union Station and Main Street to the 10th and Main Transit Center.
– Buses will operate more frequently: every 30 minutes on weekdays and 60 minutes evenings and Saturdays.
– Buses will operate on “clockface headways” — which means, for example 21 and 51 minutes after the hour. That’ll make it easier to remember.
– Buses will run later in the evening: until after 9 pm weekdays on the part of the route between Downtown and the Plaza.
– Service to KU Med Center at 39th and State Line continues.
– Service to Ward Parkway Shopping Center is added, and that service will run hourly weekdays and Saturdays until shortly after 6 pm.
What we lose:
– Direct service to the Westside. Transit access to the Westside will require a transfer to the revised Route 27 at 25th and Summit.
– Service to the heart of The Plaza. Route 51 Plaza trips will go to 47th and Jefferson only.
– Direct service to Blue Ridge Crossing (Wal-Mart, etc). That service will continue to be provided via Route 31, which operates frequently from 32nd and Pennsylvania.
Take a look at the service change bulletin from The Metro:
Here’s the new route map:
Here’s the new schedule:
Thanks, Ron, for reporting on this! For those who want to stay up-to-date on other public transit issues in our city, visit Trans Action Network‘s website.